Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Raw Recap & Thoughts (12/06/10)

As something new for this blog, being the nerdy wrestling fan that I am, each week I will write some thoughts on the latest addition of Raw. I may also attempt to do a separate one for TNA Impact. I don't get a chance to watch Smackdown, so that one will be left out. Anyway, let's go.

  • First, I want to say that I enjoyed last week's King of the Ring Raw and thought it came off well. My only thought is based on Sheamus winning the KOTR tournament. I don't dislike him, and felt that he should have won...if they did the tournament last year. The King of the Ring is the best stepping stone to being considered legit, so after winning the WWE title twice this past year, I don't see what Sheamus' character has to gain by becoming king. If WWE is all about this youth movement, they should have let one of the up-and-comers on the main event cusp win this thing. 
  • I thought this week's opening segment was excellent. Michael Cole might be annoying to many, but he absolutely nailed his role on the mic to open up, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but if he wasn't an announcer, he could make an awesome heel manager. Also, I think CM Punk is an amazing change of pace on commentary. He's had various great moments so far, and I loved him mocking Cole by reading from the laptop. If there's anything that could help him go face when he returns to the ring, this commentator gig could be his ticket.
  • I'm still kind of confused as to where exactly they're going putting the Bella Twins with Daniel Bryan, or if they're even going anywhere. Is it to give Bryan a lame ladies man gimmick, to turn one of the Bellas heel, or to just give the twins air time? I'd be fine if they quit the flirtatious angle and just gave Bryan both as a dual manager thing. Who knows. Also, I don't know if it was intentional or not, but Punk cut himself off when calling the US champ "Bryan Dan-", but it was definitely a cool homage.
  • The nanosecond that you saw Otunga via satellite from a hotel room, you would have bet your life that Cena was going to be there, right? Anyway, if he wasn't married to a semi-famous woman, there's no way Otunga is still wrestling. The guy just has no discernible skills, especially at promos. He just doesn't have the voice to match his look.
  • So Tyson Kidd has some new guy with him; of course the commentators have never seen him before and offer no help. Imagine if real announcers were this uninformed? Can you imagine Joe Buck going: "Looks like the Mets are going to pull Santana here and...who's that guy coming out of the bullpen? I've never seen him before but he looks huge. What about you, Tim?" And then Tim McCarver answers: "I have no idea who this guy is or have even heard of him in the minor leagues, but if he throws three strikes to this batter he'll strike him out." Actually, I can totally imagine those two clowns doing that; terrible example on my part, but you get the idea. Anyway, typical big oaf-looking guy, and I'd be surprised if he's in WWE in three years from now. 
  • Damn, how close was that hotel Otunga just came from? Was it attached to the building? Or is he just really, really fast?
        • Even if it is just to set up an eventual Cena interference, I love that the tag team titles are getting more than a four minute match, and a four-way elimination at that! (Can't express how much better elimination is over first pin-fall.) I also can't express how much I love Gabriel and Slater as a tag team. These guys just look the part, and if WWE were to promote them properly, they could be great in the tag division. Unfortunately, as is blatantly obvious by half of the teams in this match, WWE doesn't have a tag team division. I mean, Henry/Tatsu as a team? Are those seriously the two most polar opposite people on the roster? I know WWE was trying to enhance the "Cena screws Nexus" story, but I think it sucks that they took the belts off them so soon. Punk referring to Cena in purple as the Grimace was priceless. Oh, and the double team Samoan Drop move that the Usos pulled off was awesome.
        • Quick note on Nexus: I love them. I've been thrilled that there is finally a stable around and I hope it's a while before they get broken up. Honestly though, I think if they dumped the dead weight and had Barrett main eventing, and Slater/Gabriel as a tag team, that would be a really good trio.
        • Before Morrison eventually joked about it, the first thing I thought seeing Sheamus in the robe and crown was that he should be followed by elves and hobbits down to the ring. I don't know, it's not bad and it is different, but I just feel as if this feud has no substance to it. Maybe it's because Morrison just came out each week for no reason and stopped Sheamus from bullying Santino, another guy he has no connection with. I can't help but feel that Morrison would be able to take himself even higher in TNA. He seems almost restricted with the minimal mic time he gets as a face. Yeah, bow down to the king, so obviously Triple H is returning soon.
        • I know that LayCool is supposed to be annoying, but, um, LayCool is really annoying...and not in a good way. I feel that WWE has done their job with heels when as a fan, you enjoy to hate them. With LayCool, I don't want to hate them, I just want them gone.
        • It is amazing that Melina has pretty much become irrelevant now after how long she was in the spotlight for. I'm not saying it's bad or good, it's just that any time I see her, I think, "Wow that's right, I forgot she was on the roster." It's crazy that WWE can so successfully phase people out like that.
        • The Miz said something that he also said on Bill Simmons' BS Report a few days ago that I liked, which was along the lines of him wanting to be the most surprising champion in history. I think that's a great angle to play. It also made me think of something else: I can't for the life of me remember one important or entertaining moment of Randy Orton's previous title reign, and it just happened. The Miz is already awesome as champ.
        • Onto the last segment. Before I go off on a tangent, there were a few awesome things worth mentioning. Punk screaming "my diet soda!" while Cena and Barrett were battling near the desk made me laugh out loud. Cena then politely handing Punk his diet soda while taking apart the desk was a great improv as well. Then the whole storyline twist they threw in about the dissension within Nexus was really well done, I thought.
        • Here's the thing (and I actually have enjoyed the Nexus/Cena angle). Admittedly, I'm a stickler for logic, which I know you often can't be in the realm of pro wrestling. I understand that, but there are more plot holes in this storyline than the entire Star Wars saga. First, Barrett never had the power to fire Cena. Cena just had to listen to him or else he was fired. And now all of a sudden he has the power to rehire him? Why is Cena holding multiple tickets when he only needs one seat? Cena doesn't work there, but automatically gets his music played at the end of the show? Where the hell is security? I really hope fans start jumping the barricade and get taken out by security to show how stupid the Cena thing really looks. Seriously, it goes on and on. I'm interested in seeing what happens, but good lord they've taken a lot of liberties with the fans' ability to suspend their level of disbelief.
        Anyway, that about wraps up my thoughts on Raw for this week. It wasn't as good as it has been in recent weeks, but it was still solid. Agree or disagree with anything I've said? Don't be afraid to post a comment below this post.

        No comments:

        Post a Comment